Could this happen to you in your search for cheap airfares to Australia?
AirBank has access to the lowest consolidator air pricing – with no additional service fees! – for round trip airfare to Australia. We recently checked our price for flights in May and found airfares as low as $559 plus taxes and airline fees, round trip from LAX to Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne.
But if you’re planning a trip that includes multiple destinations, it’s often best to plan your trip and any domestic flights before purchasing your international tickets. Here are a few tips to consider before purchasing your flights:
- Unlike the United States with a lot of options for domestic air travel, there are only three major domestic airlines and several smaller regional airlines in Australia. Flights are scheduled fairly frequently between the major cities, but are often only once or twice each day to the smaller airports. Some destinations do not have daily air service.
- Each of the airlines has different levels of service and rules – ranging from the cost (or not) of changing tickets to charges for checked luggage to beverages served on-board and legroom on the planes.
- Qantas flies non-stop from the United States to Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Qantas also flies to a wide range of domestic destinations within Australia and frequently has special offers that include a “free” or reduced cost flight to a featured city. The current special includes a stopover (or “free” flight) to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane with the purchase of an international flight from the US to Cairns, Tropical North Queensland’s Gateway to the Great Barrier Reef. A previous special included a free flight to Kangaroo Island with the purchase of a Qantas Aussie AirPass.
- You’ll receive a discount on domestic Qantas flights if you purchase Qantas’ international airfare to Australia with a land package from a travel agent or a US-based tour operator. Luggage limits on domestic flights are also higher for travelers who have flown internationally on Qantas.
- Jet Star is the “discount” domestic airline in Australia. Jet Star flights do not share Qantas’ higher luggage limits even when a Jet Star flight is included as part of an international airline ticket package.
- VAustralia flies from the US to Australia; VirginBlue, also a member of the Virgin Group, flies domestically within Australia. For cheap airfares within Australia, VirginBlue offers an AirPass that can be used to travel domestically regardless of your international airline. The VirginBlue pass can only be purchased outside Australia and must be purchased in advance. A “handling fee” will be added to each flight segment when purchased – (your final cost will be more than the price of each ticket).
- Note: Not every domestic Australian airline flies to all destinations. For example, if you’re planning to visit the Red Centre icons of Alice Springs and Uluru, your choice is limited to Qantas.
When planning to buy airplane tickets to Australia you may benefit from an Aussie AirPass or one of the current special offers. Contact AirBank at 1-888-825-4529 to work out the best options for your travel to and throughout Australia and the South Pacific.