Many airports around the world stand out for their architectural beauty. In 2013, CNN compiled a list of 7 architecturally beautiful airports selected by famous architect Paul Goldberger.
The airports in the list include –
- Madrid-Barajas Airport (Spain)
- Beijing Capital International Airport (China)
- Kansai International Airport (Osaka, Japan)
- King Abdulaziz International Airport (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport T2 (North Carolina)
- Aeropuerto de Carrasco (Montevideo, Uruguay)
- TWA Terminal (New York) – No longer operational
Goldberger admires the only US airport in the list (Raleigh-Durham Terminal 2) for its inspiration from its Southern roots and its prolific use of wood and glass instead of the usual steel and glass.
Terminal 2 of Raleigh-Durham International Airport features soaring ceilings and beautiful wood trusses with plenty of natural light and wide open areas.