Enabling travelers to conveniently and quickly catch connecting flights is one of the most important features of the world’s best airports. Especially when your arriving flight is delayed and your connection time is tight, it’s comforting to know if you’re at an airport that is known for speedy access to connecting flights or if you’re going to have to run.
Zurich Airport (ZRH) in Switzerland tops the list of the world’s airports with the most convenient connections. The average connection time at Zurich is 10 minutes between its farthest gates, according to the data compiled by the Connect On Time smartphone app in August 2013.
The next top 9 airports according to their average connection times are:
2. Salt Lake City International (SLC) – 11 min.
3. Tampa International (TPA) – 12 min.
4. Orlando International (MCO) – 15 min.
5. Charlotte Douglas International (CLT) – 16 min.
6. Denver International (DEN) – 18 min.
7. London Stansted (STN) – 19 min.
8. Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL) – 20 min.
9. Dubai International (DXB) – 21 min.
10. Hong Kong International (HKG) – 22 min.
The world’s worst airport for connection times is Beijing Capital International (PEK) with the longest connection time (not including time spent at security gates) of 1 hr. 27 min. London Heathrow Airport (LHR) and Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) are in second and third place respectively for the maximum time it takes to reach a connecting gate.